April 3: Greg Glesinger

High in the Argentinian Patagonia, Greg was playing out a real-life game of “Where’s Waldo?” with an elusive red stag.

 In camp at Algar Safaris with the much of the DOD gang, Greg’s first trip to Argentina immediately impressed him. From the area’s natural beauty to the accommodations at the lodge, everything was top notch, especially the hunting. In fact, he got on a great red stag bull the first day but wasn’t able to get within bow range.

The red stag roar was on so the hinds were grouped up with the bulls, increasing the number of eyes, ears and noses on alert. Add to that the dry, brittle vegetation crunching and scraping at every step, spot and stalk hunting was a challenge. Greg had a full eight encounters with this particular bull during the first four days of his five day hunt. He saw him so frequently and in so many places that the stag earned the nickname, “Waldo.”

Waldo had a knack for staying just on the outer edge of bow range. In those eight encounters, he would hover out at 85-110 yards. Only once did he come any closer…44 yards, but he was on the move chasing a hind and couldn’t be stopped.

The pressure to put Waldo on the ground mounted as day four came to a close. Greg made the decision to tote a rifle along with his PSE Evolve for the fifth and final day of the hunt.

It took a couple hours to locate the stag on the morning of day five. Once they found him, Greg and his guide began their stalk as Waldo busied himself with chasing hinds. At one point, the bull got bumped off one group of females and began working his way to another. The path he would take was also Greg’s opportunity to get a shot.

Since it looked like Waldo would stay out beyond bow range yet again, Greg shouldered the .308 and hovered the scope’s reticle at center mass. The bull that had danced out of range for five days and caused Greg to hike over 30 miles was now at 180 yards. Pressure built on the rifle’s trigger as the gun barked. The bull shuddered and began running but only made it 30 yards before falling over dead. At 9:30 am on the last day of the trip, Greg had his first Argentinian red stag.

Killing his stag with a gun wasn’t exactly what Greg had in mind for this hunt, but he adapted his methods to the situation despite his preferences. Now, he has 277 inches of red stag antler to show for his efforts.

As told to Tim Kjellesvik