September 21: Greg Glesinger

Thursday night at Trophy Hunting Adventures in New Mexico and Greg’s bags were packed ready for the return trip home. After logging over 30 miles in his Danners in the heat and high winds without an elk kill, he was ready to hit the road.

Even the best of outfitters can’t do anything about the weather, and that’s exactly what had snarled this elk hunt. Five straight days of hunting had taken their toll. At dinner on Thursday night, Greg had made his decision and announced to the team, “Guys, we’re leaving tomorrow. We’ll hunt the morning, but after that, we’ve got to get home.”

In a last ditch attempt to salvage the week, guide Dominic opted to hunt a ranch they hadn’t visited in a while. It was a shot in the dark, but the results couldn’t be worse than what they’d experienced so far.

The week wasn’t without its excitement however. Early on they had found a mega bull and hunted him for four days ultimately getting to within 12 yards, but no shot. Close, but not close enough.

At 6:40 am on Friday, the last day of their hunt at the shot-in-the-dark ranch, a bull returned their initial bugle. Maybe the hunt wasn’t over after all?

The bugling continued to get closer. Greg slid his Tenzing backpack off his shoulder and got setup for the shot. Soon, a young bull came up over the rise. Thirty seconds later a big mature bull came to join the party. The two commenced a bugling contest, slowly closing the distance towards Greg. Clad in Mossy Oak Mountain Country Nomad apparel, neither animals detected him against the brush.

At 7:10 am, the big bull was at 40 yards and quartering away. Greg came to full draw on his PSE Carbon Air and hovered his 40 yard pin on the vitals. As he released his arrow the bull took a step forward, moving the impact further back. Because it was a quartering away shot, the Rage Trypan still had a path through vital organs and left an almost hand sized entry wound. The bull ran 115 yards before falling over.

So many hunts have been made in the final moments. Had Greg called it quits when he felt like it, he would have completely missed this opportunity. Instead, coupled with Dominic’s gamble on a rarely visited ranch and Greg stuck it out and headed back to Wisconsin with a monster set of Wapiti antlers.

As told to Tim Kjellesvik.