October 24: Daltyn Kramer

Coming into this year we were pretty optimistic about the deer we had on our newly bought property with one 5 1/2 yr old and a few good 4 1/2 yr olds. Youth season was not very eventful for dad and I this year, and it came to a close without even seeing one shooter.

 Bow season rolled around, and a cold front came with it. Knowing this would get the deer on their feet, we decided to jump into one of our favorite sets. The set is in a big oak tree in the corner of a 10 acre corn field, and the Reconyx cameras showed quite a few shooters walking right under the stand. One of these shooters was our big 4 1/2 year old 8 pointer that we have had pictures of since last year.

We didn't have much action for about an hour or so, until we saw a little buck chasing a doe around the field. Then right after this, another one of our mature bucks hopped the fence out of the CRP and ducked into the corn field. He managed to walk all the way around us, staying just out of range the whole time, and headed into the timber after rubbing a tree at 60 yards. 

 With the sun down and light fading fast, I hoped the buck would come back out of the timber. To my surprise, I looked up to see a stud working a scrape at 40 yards, turn and head right to our stand. Dad instantly recognized him as the 8 pointer that we have pictures of. He walked right into my shooting lane and quartered away at about 10 yards. I was shaking like a leaf, and the nerves definitely got to me when I shot. As soon as I released the arrow, I knew it was way back, and I also knew I had just wounded my biggest bow buck to date. I was disgusted with myself as I saw him bed down about 50 yards from the stand. We left everything in the stand and snuck out as quietly as we could, hoping that he would sit tight. 

The next day we headed right to where he bedded down and started tracking from there. The tracking job took us in a big circle and led right back under the stand, and into the timber he came from. Out of respect for our neighbor, we decided to back out and call them to make sure it was ok to go track into his timber, and it was. We got out there, crossed the fence, and walked about 10 yards before seeing a big white belly on the ground. The buck was even bigger than I thought, and couldn't have been more happy. This was a great way to start the season, and with the number of mature bucks on our property, were looking to finish strong.