Jim Thome 150 inch buck kill story as told by Tim Seigler videographer.

Being a deer hunter there is nothing better then the day the calendar reads opening day for firearms. This is the day that all hunters have looked forward to since they were little boys and girls, and most hunters all have the same amount of sleep the night before, very little. Jim Thome and his family are no exception to this behavior.

It was three thirty in the morning of the home opener and I heard the big slugger, Jim get up and wake his brothers up, they talked and made plans for the approaching dawn. It was a big morning for Illinois hunters, that morning was opening day for first shotgun season, and the Thome boys were anxious to even the odds with a little more firepower than a stick and string.

That morning was extremely cold and the weatherman was calling for strong winds, Jim decided to head to a box blind that sat on a standing bean field. He also decided to bring a buck and doe decoy with him in an attempt to dupe the opposition so that they could not read our signs. We did see a few deer that morning just not quite what we were looking for on opening day. Although we did have an awesome encounter with a 4 year old toad that was all beat up. We thought he was going to nail our decoys, this deer came in like he read the script, just a little to young, triple A perhaps. We also saw a few other smaller bucks and some does getting pushed around, by 9:00 we decided it was time for breakfast, biscuits and gravy?

That afternoon Jim decided to head to one of his best box blinds, it lays in between beans in right field, corn in left with a green strip in center, the corn there was also freshly combined. This blind named the “octagon park” was going to be Jim’s field box for the afternoon hunt.

Jim knew he had to get in somewhat early, so we decided 3:00 would be good, but no later. It is a good thing we got there on time because at 3:03 we had deer on the field. We no more than sat down and the parade had already begun. The first deer were as always does and small bucks, but it was not long and we had beautiful 3 and 4 year old deer all around us, at one point we could see 18 deer in the field, looks like it is a sell out crowd. There were 2 sets of bucks either fighting or preparing to fight seemingly all night, and this is all happening within 75 yards from the blind.

Around the bottom of the 8th Jim’s eyes got wide and he said shooter, nice shooter, he said the deer was limping bad and should probably be on the DL. With all the deer in front of us and the deer limping bad, we thought we had a good chance of him presenting himself again before the night was threw. After another half an hour of watching deer feeding, fighting and chasing, Jim said shooter right here, it’s him! Sure enough the 5 year old bruiser stepped out of the standing corn and into the cut, it did not take Jim long to make sure he was a mature deer, although he was run down from the rut and his injury, we decided he was fully mature and would be a fantastic deer to harvest. As the deer worked slowly through the field Jim and I each maneuvered for the shot that was going to take place. The white horned phenom offered the shot, Jim asked me if I was on him I said yes and Jim and his slug did the rest, needless to say it was a home run. We could see the shockwave of the bullet as it hit the deer, the buck did not go far.

As the sun set on opening day Jim was holding the antlers to his latest memory. It was the perfect opening day, and the fact that Jim’s dad and brothers were along with close friends in camp made it even more special to be able to share the moment with them, it is what deer camp is made from.