As told by Doug Hampton:

I sat at a cross-road in north-east Kansas for over an hour just thinking about the events of the day and I was feeling like I had been punched right in my stomach. You see, I was supposed to be half way home by this time and darkness was already set in....

I had left north Missouri a few hours earlier and decided to swing by my Kansas lease to check my Reconyx camera's on my way home. After the two hour drive, I was pulling in to check my camera and I could not believe my eyes. My two-man buddy stand that had been in place for two years was gone! Oh no, I thought as I pulled up slowly and closer to where my Reconyx camera should have been. To put it lightly, some low-life person had stolen my game camera and deer stand that I had worked hard to buy. I no longer had the urge to hunt, drive, or do anything. I was angry and just plain sick!

I called Rod and told him the news. I also told him that I had to hang around and get a police report. Rod said he would just drive down and video me the next morning and evening in Kansas if I was going to stay an extra day. I told him to give me a minute to check the weather forecast on my phone before he left. A big cold front was coming our way and the rain was beginning to hit the hood of my truck. As soon as I saw that the winds would be coming from the east, I called Rod and told him we needed to go back to his lease in north Missouri and try to kill the buck that had eluded him for the last two weeks.

I made a call to my wife and told her that I was headed back to where I had just drove from earlier and she thought I was losing my mind. I just had a feeling that Rod's "magic cornfield" was going to be packed with deer with the approaching front and an east wind was absolutely perfect. Rod had been using a few friends to help out with the videoing and had already had five encounters with a double split g-2 buck. But every encounter had yielded the same result. Somehow, some way, the buck managed to stay just where Rod couldn't get a shot, even at a distances under 20 yards. The plan would be to sleep in in the morning and drive to Rod's lease after lunch the next day.

The rain was coming down steady as we climbed into the ground blind after our 2 hour drive. It was 2:30 when we got settled in and the temperature was steadily dropping. Rod checked his equipment and then we settled in for another try at the luckiest deer in north Missouri. The access to the blind was through the corn and the deer were oblivious to the fact that they were being hunted. So far, no mistakes had been made. The deer began to filter into the cut cornfield and before we knew it we had an ancient doe close enough to hear her breathing. You see, the buck that we were after had been close enough to kill on several occasions, but trying to draw your bow with a doe at 2 yards can be a fairly difficult task. At around 6:00 every deer in the field snapped to attention. There has got to be a buck coming Rod, I said with excitement! Rod peaked out to the North just as all the does started walking to the south. A growl rang out from the corn just as Rod turned and said "it's him". I turned on the camera, hit record, and just waited. A minute or so later I leaned up and saw him at about 40 yards coming up the edge of the timber. I got on him and then began to communicate with Rod. At the distance of 21 yards Rod drew his P.S.E. Omen and sent a Lumenok lighted arrow at 340 feet per second through the quartering away 14 point buck. The reaction was priceless! 5 minutes later we were standing over the Rage-struck deer which only made it 80 yards before expiring. Team Hart has it's first buck down of the season and we're hoping the domino's will begin to fall ! Good luck everyone.....