Making the hour and a half trip to our Kansas farm has almost become as routine as a trip to the grocery store. But after you make that trip several times in two weeks, and you still haven't " brought home the groceries", It begins to wear down even the toughest of hunters.

This was going to be the last trip to Kansas for my fiance Deanna for one simple reason. The early muzzloader season was going to end at dark, whether we liked it or not. If we were not successfull, It would be December before we could return again during the regular firearms season.

The plan was to take the lap top computer to the ground blind that we intended to hunt overlooking a Biologic food plot. And once we get to the blind, I would slip out to the Reconyx camera , pull the card, and return to the blind to view the pictures. Being the "computer guru" that I am, I was sure I could do what any jr. high kid could do, and probably quicker. So after spending countless minutes, hitting buttons and mumbling, a picture finally popped up. We were pleasently surprised to see that two bucks on the hit-list had been making their appearance.We had a 4 hour sit ahead of us and our hopes were instantly lifted.

It was 20 minutes until dark, 80 degrees, and every day we have hunted this season had been more favorable for deer movement. So you can imagine the excitement when we looked up and saw one of the deer that we had pictures of, standing at the edge of the food plot. As the buck began to walk, we noticed that he was limping very badly on his left side. He worked his way in to the range of 55 yards as Deanna slowly pulled back the hammer of the Thompson Center Pro Hunter. The moment of truth was here, and not a moment to soon. The light was fading fast as the hammer was dropped, breaking the silence of the Kansas country side.

With the smoke quickly filling the view finder, it would be a few moments until either one of us would know the fate of the 3 & 1/2 year old buck we had come to know as "Hammer Head". When the smoke finally cleared It was a relief to see that the shot, indeed was perfect. He had dropped in his tracks and the two week quest for a Kansas buck was finally over!

After getting to the buck, we noticed the buck had a badly injured left back foot. This was most likely the reason for the hammer-looking right side of his rack. Congratulations Deanna! Your persistance and dedication finally paid off. Now you will be able to sit back and relax during the rest of the Kansas season, while the rest of us are out there getting frost bittin, and hoping to fill our tags as well.