Sean Lundy accepted an invite from his friend Dana to join in a late-season deer camp in Missouri.

With the unusually warm temperatures and unfavorable weather, Sean was unsure how the deer hunting would be, but was excited to be in camp and enjoy good times with great friends. 

While the hunting was slow, they saw a lot of turkeys, which led many conversations at camp looking forward to the spring. With the unusual conditions, they often did not hunt in the mornings, but went to the stand around midday and would hunt until dark.  

With a front coming through that dropped the temperature, the pressure gradually rose slightly and gave all in camp a boost of confidence. And that evening the floodgates opened with deer piling into the fields.  

With Dana behind the camera, Sean was excited to see the deer moving so well. With several does and a few small bucks in the field, they were waiting on a mature Missouri buck before burning any black powder. 

Soon they could see two bucks heading towards the field. A busted up eight appeared with an older ten easing along behind him. Neither showed any rutting activity, and were just there to graze. They decided to take a shot at the mature ten if given the opportunity. 

The buck offered a shot, but it required a little bit of athletic movement from Sean and Dana. With Dana hanging out the front of the blind with the camera to get the buck in the frame while Sean was leaning out the back of the blind to get a shot, the buck turned broadside. Dana said he was on him with a slight nod of his head. Sean clicked off the safety and fired his muzzleloader.  

The big ten buckled, and as the smoke cleared, all the deer were scattering. Amidst the scattering of whitetails, the big ten had turned to run back the way he came with his tail tucked and obviously hit. As they looked, several deer stopped for a moment to look back, and the old buck was not standing with them. The herd only paused for a moment before scattering into the wilderness. 

They sat in the blind for 30 minutes allowing the dark to cover them before beginning to track the buck. Once the sun was down, they headed towards the spot the buck left the field. Soon they were on his trail, and within just a few minutes, they had their hands on the big Missouri buck.

Dr. Brooks Tiller