October 27: Daltyn Kramer


Eighteen year old Daltyn Kramer started with the Drury Team at age nine.

After his father, Dave, harvested another hit list buck, the duo set out after another buck deemed PAT.

According to Dave Kramer, he and Daltyn headed to another portion of the farm they had not yet hunted in 2019. They knew another good buck was using the farm, but had no photos of it in the last couple of weeks.

“We called the buck PAT, because he had wide, flat brow tines that resembled goal posts,” Dave said “So, Dalton called him PAT - point after touchdown.”

The father-son team entered the hunting area around 3 p.m. intent on hunting PAT. They knew the rut was closing in, and wanted to hunt the remaining bucks on the farm, before they began to roam in search of hot does.

“As luck would have it,” Dave said, “the wind was perfect for us to hunt that section of the farm. We got in early, and we had a doe and fawn come into the tree stand location soon after we got there. Next, we watched a 3-year-old 7-point buck up on the next ridge, bumping two does around. They worked out into our crp field.”

Dave stood up to check the ridge behind their location. I saw a buck drop off into a ravine,” he said. “I pulled up my Leupold binoculars and immediately saw the distinctive G4 on the right side. I wispered to Daltyn to get on the grunt call.” 

Daltyn grunted on the call just after the buck disappeared into the ravine. It did not respond. Dave instructed his son to grab the horns and begin rattling. “Daltyn rattled for about 15 seconds,” he said. “I grabbed the horns and hung them up, as I was sure the buck heard the rattling sequence.”

Daltyn pulled the binoculars to his face, and quietly told his dad that the  buck had done a 180 degree turn and was headed towards them. 

PAT walked straight on towards the awaiting hunters, looking from side to side as he approached. “At 30 yards PAT stopped and started feeding,” Dave said.

Daltyn drew his bow as PAT turned broadside. He held for 90 seconds, while the buck fed behind some brush. He let down and redrew after re-ranging PAT’s distance. The buck stepped into an opening, Daltyn stopped him and released his arrow. 

“The shot was high,” Dave said. “We were worried about the shot being in no mans land."

Thirty minutes later, the Kramers climbed downed and retrieved Daltyn’s arrow. “It was covered in blood,” Dave said. “We went home and checked the Deer Track app." The shot was aortic.

The Kramers returned to the farm and recovered Pat after a mere 125 yard track job. “What a great couple of days,” Dave said. “Two bucks in two days on our farm, after years of trying to manage for big deer. It was very gratifying.”

~ Bill Cooper Deercast Senior Writer